MGA 50th Pictures From Le Mans

3 prototype MGAs raced at the Le Mans 24 hour race in 1955.  In 2005 the MGCC MGA Register re-enacted the trip down to Le Mans. PSJ 903 made the 1500 mile round trip.
The MGA 50th Anniversary radiator badge
The event started at Abingdon.  The oldest surviving MGA (5th off the production line) Mabel - MBL 867 led the convoy from the old MG factory site
One of the most famous MGA Le Mans racers SRX 210, owned by Bob West, also made the journey
Once across the channel, the MGA convoy was joined by cars from France, Holland, Germany and Luxemburg .  About 20 cars went directly to Le Mans.  The remaining 15 went on a scenic route covering 2 days
A French car suitably decorated for the occasion
The convoy spread out nearing the Pont de Normandie
A one hour stop over at Honfleur at the end of the second day out of Abingdon
On the 3rd day 37 MGAs assembled in Argentan (twinned with Abingdon) for a civic reception.  PSJ 903 centre of the picture
On the 4th day the convoy departed for Chateau Chene de Coeur at Le Mans.  
The convoy assembled at the Chateau. This is where the race crews stayed in 1955 and where 3 prototype cars were garaged.  This year the MG Lola team also stayed at the Chateau.
Two replica race cars in a re-enactment of 1955 photography
Formalities over, it was off to the circuit to enjoy all the racing.
The old cars had a one hour race before the main event.

 

The movie clip

 

 

Home